With the holiday season upon us, it’s easy for us to say yes to every party invite and become a Martha Stewart and Santa to everyone we know. The holidays can be challenging as we feel the heaviness of unspoken expectations and unrealistic demands that are placed on us. When we do things out of obligation we’ll feel resentful, tired, and angry – we’ll feel as though our time is not our own and we’re losing control of it. One of the ways we can bring joy and peace back into the holidays is by being intentional with our time – this may mean making decisions based on love rather than out of duty, learning to say no without feeling guilty, and learning to do less. May we master the art of living intentionally everyday.
This festive holiday season can, sometimes, be hectic and frantic with things to do, people to see, and commitments to fulfill. It’s in moments like these that we need serenity and solace within us. During this time, I encourage you to take a break, slow down your breathing, and be alone. Here are 11 simple and practical ways to be happy and calm as you move into the New Year:
1. Drink lots of water (and herbal tea).
2. Go to bed early and get plenty of sleep.
3. Eat healthy and well – start the day with a hearty breakfast, snack on fruits and veggies throughout the day, don’t skip meals, and avoid process foods.
4. Get outside and move your body.
5. Disconnect with your electronic gadgets and connect with people (or books).
6. Replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts. Replace fear with courage.
7. Don’t dwell on the past but be proactive in moving forward.
8. Instead of procrastinating, complete the hardest tasks at the top of your day.
9. Wear clothes that make you feel good. Listen to music that moves you.
10. Enjoy your own company – meditate, write, dance, paint, or play an instrument.
11. Play. Laugh. Love. Discover.
I wish you a wondrous Christmas! May peace and joy be yours in abundance!