Sometimes, the harsh realities of life can weigh us down with doubt, confusion, depression, and anxiety. Overtime, these patterns of thoughts and feelings will have a negative impact on our health and well-being. To combat this, I want to give you 10 simple steps that will transform your outlook in life.
1. Count your blessings. Name 3 things that went well today.
2. Consider what you have. List 3 things that you appreciate about your life.
3. Express thanks. Write a letter to someone who made an impact on your life.
4. Play to your strengths. List your top 3 strengths.
5. Make love count. Set aside time to spend with your partner.
6. Look on the bright side. Write a story about your ‘best future self.’
7. Find meaning in your work. List 3 reasons you feel passionate about your work, or how your work contributes to the greater good.
8. Do a good deed. Practice acts of kindness to those you care about as well as to strangers.
9. Make positive connections. Smile at someone you pass on the street or in the elevator.
10. Do what you love. When you do something you enjoy, you will naturally drift into a satisfying ‘sense of flow.’
Take your time with this list. I encourage you to focus on one or two of these steps of a day. And work your way through all of them over the next few weeks. After you’ve completed the list, repeat the steps, cycling it over again in the coming months. Eventually, your positive outlook will become second nature as you see the brighter side of things, in people and in life. It’s not to say the dark realities will vanish from our lives but we’re choosing to see the better side of things, which puts it into perspective. Here’s to a happier you and a brighter world.
© Susie Lee 2012
To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.
– William Londen
*10 Steps to a Happier Life was written by Michele Cohen Marill (From Pink Magazine 2008)